Monday, April 27, 2009

Planting the garden

This past week, Dena and I went to the garden to plant a few seeds. She wanted to plant the corn as she said, "I love it!". I made very straight rows of trenches and gave Dena a handful of corn seed at a time but she still insisted on going here and there to plant her corn. First one row, then another spot in another row to bury her treasure. I tried to keep up with her and fill in where she skipped and push the seed into the trench where she "missed" but I may be transplanting the seedlings once they come up. Have you ever tried to keep up with a 2-year-old?
Next, we proceeded to cover the seeds up. Dena had a hand shovel and did her best to cover up the trenches. Sometimes she actually scooped the seed out of the trench but Grandma came along behind and did the best she could to keep things in rows, covered with dirt. I was able to convince her she would enjoy digging in the dirt while I planted a few other types of vegetables.
Finally, it was time to water. I did have to help her squeeze the sprayer handle on the hose but we managed to get some water on the seeds...and it has rained a little...so hopefully our seeds will germinate. There are even little signs on the corn that read "Corn by Dena" just in case some of the big time master gardeners notice how crooked my rows are. They do appreciate children taking an interest in gardening so I hope whatever happens will bring smiles to their faces.
It was just a sunny, dirty, watery, fun day for both Dena and me.

No comments: