Monday, April 6, 2009

A Sunny Day at the Beach




As Mr. Lincoln and I settled into our deck chairs to do a little reading this sunny day, 2 nice looking, younger couples made their way down the beach to set up "camp". We watched as they pitched a tent, lay a blanket in front of it's door and arranged a cooler and bags for their rare day in the Oregon sunshine. After they checked out the rocks and waves, Linc and I set to work reading about the Japanese in WWII here in Oregon and the couples went on their way for a nice walk down the beach towards Kyllo's.

A little later I heard yelling and saw one of the couples running back our way while the other was yelling. I checked the waterline for an emergency situation but everything looked calm. The running couple turned up the speed and headed our way...only more towards their tent/campsite. As I looked down, you could hardly see the blue and white tent. It was covered with seagulls. First, an EMPTY potato chip bag, then an EMPTY bread bag and finally all sorts of EMPTY bags blew off in the breeze as the couple sped towards their picnic. I did rush in the house to grab my camera but by the time I got back, the gulls had dispersed because of the human intervention. The people were very disappointed that their picnic had been invaded and devoured. The rest of the afternoon they had to take turns guarding the place as the seagulls continued to surround the tent just waiting for another chance. I'm not sure much was left but if that was my tent, I'd be protecting the beer for sure.
So the pictures are of a dejected picnicker and then someone in front of the tent on guard while the gulls stand in wait to capture the beer!

We don't have bears like camping in the woods, but those seagulls can sure behave like a scene out of "The Birds" and ruin a good picnic. Good thing for sunshine! It's just the right kind of day to eat out in a restaurant.

No comments: