Thursday, July 17, 2008

It's a busy week

This next couple of weeks will be very busy for me. I drove over from the Coast to West Linn on Tuesday morning and met Liz for coffee and to take our two dogs to the dog park. Then Liz came to our condo so we could swim. We are all trying to keep Liz busy and well exercised so the new baby will come sooner. Late that day, I went to my friend, Joan's apartment to help her unpack and welcome her to her new abode.

Wednesday was grandkids day. Dick helped me since we had all 3 at one time. We did manage to go to the park and run in the fountain. 1-year-old Dena wouldn't have anything to do with the spraying water but the older 2 wore themselves out. Later Liz and I went to Dinner Done Right to make dinners for the freezer for Brett to cook once the baby arrives. Another productive day.

Today started out with an early morning babysitting spot at Allison's so she could run her dog, Sophie, to the vet for some minor surgery. It is easier to do without 3 sleepy girls in the car tagging along. Next I am back to Joan's apartment to help her set up her computer and then to the dog park and my community garden. I need some lettuce and spinach for salads and to water and weed. Luckily I have picked a cooler day for the gardening. Liz has been watering the garden regularly to get herself out of the house and moving around.

Tonight starts the "big event" of Sand in the City in downtown Portland. This event is put on each year by the non-profit where Elizabeth works...Kids on the Block...and it is their major fundraiser. It is a sand sculpture building contest put on right downtown Portland and is a lot of fun. I do the kids craft area during the event so I am totally worn out after 4 days. Tonight is set up and Pioneer Square is transformed into the beach. We have a group of inmates who come down with a Sheriff to do community service this evening. The ground of the entire square is covered first in landscape cloth and then plywood before the large dump trucks of sand are dumped there. Tents, table and chairs and a stage are all installed around the square and then we are ready for Friday when different companies come to build the sand sculptures that can be 4 or 5 feet tall. The link to see the website for previous years is: http://sand2008.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=251973

I hope you will take a look if you are interested. I will get back to this blog...with pictures, hopefully, once the event is over. I will, hopefully have news and photos of a new grandbaby soon also.

No comments: