Wednesday, September 19, 2012

You did what?

I ironed. I don't remember the last time I did it but I ironed. I have set up the equipment when I have sewed in the past to press newly stitched seams on Halloween costumes and aprons, but really iron clothes? It is almost foreign to me now. I do remember times I would set up all the stuff:iron, ironing board, spray starch, hangers, ironing basket, then turn on the tv and watch football or old movies all Sunday afternoon. But not in the last 15 years, at least.

It all started because the weather is changing. I am feeling colder even though the sun still comes out. Sometimes. I have two sweaters that needed hand washing before I could wear them for the season. I had a blouse I washed this summer that really came out wrinkly. I had a blouse I took to the cleaners a year ago to be laundered but because of the sequins on it, they said "no thank you". It needed to be washed by hand. So I washed all that needed washing. The sweaters dried on towels very nicely and the blouse dried on a hanger. I think I let them sit around about a week to dry.They smelled great and any spots were out but boy were they wrinkled.

So, I gathered them up along with the other machine washable blouse with the wrinkles from hell...actually make that two washable blouses and set up for the task. Where do I set up an ironing board? I found room in the dining area so I could look out the windows at the ocean. Can't be all bad. I plugged in the antiquated iron and set up the antiquated ironing board. I think I will swap them out with the nice ones at our Portland condo since those REALLY don't get used. I filled the water in the steam iron and waited for it to warm up.

Okay, the old spit on the finger and touch the iron trick and I was sure it still worked. I started with one of the washable items in case the iron decided to spit back in protest. Back and forth. Back and forth. Those wrinkles barely budged. AHA! Spray starch. I threw out the last rusted can when it stopped dribbling out starch with still three quarters of a can remaining years ago. I jumped in my car...top still down because it isn't snowing yet...and ran to the grocery store. Back awhile later with Magic Sizing. I am hoping it works better than the old spray starch and it does contain the word "magic" so maybe it will iron the clothes on its own.

So, sssssss, and I am off again. In no time, those wrinkles are out. The blouses are hung up and look great. The sweaters needed the wrinkles steamed out too. They looked great and folded up nicely. Dick asked me to iron the collars of a couple of golf shirts. You know the Mayor needs to look decent. I think this need to have things ironed must have been contagious.

We now have nice wrinkle free clothes hanging in the closet and folded in the armoire. I don't think I want to do it again soon and definitely don't want to start another "ironing basket" but the old art of ironing has not died yet! At least in this household.

No comments: